Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Paradise

Monday: Secretary (Day) / Server (Night)
This is a different type of week. My mom left for Cancun early Sunday morning. My mother has not left her five children in 25 years. I closed at the restaurant Saturday night and pulled an all-night-er to take her and my three aunts to the airport by 5:00 a.m. Because this is the first time she's actually inaccessible, she felt more comfortable if I stayed at her house. My two brothers are still at home, and although they are 15 and 19 years old, they still need someone here. Not only that, but they're lazy, sloppy teenagers who would destroy my mother's house by the time she gets home.
I came back to mom's and finally fell asleep around 6:30 a.m. I tried to bring everything so I don't have to traipse back to my house. I did forget a few things (like my phone charger!), but so far, so good.
It's funny because I find myself in "mom" mode. Last night I was doing laundry and gathering some things, when I realized that it was passed the dinner hour and wondered if my brother had eaten. He's 15! He'll eat when he's hungry, but like I said, I'm in "mom" mode. He chuckled when I asked him, so I "checked" myself.
I'm just really communicative: I want them to know where I am, and I expect that they'll let me know what they're up to...I don't know...parent stuff. :)
It's weird because I'm not a parent to any degree. I was watching my 6 month old niece this weekend, and I was struggling carrying a crying child, lugging her seat, and trying not to lose the diaper bag. I know that I have a maternal instinct, but I just don't think I'm cut out to be a parent. I can't even remember to feed my brother! (Shit, and I've been thinking about getting a dog...I guess that idea's out!)
Tomorrow: Secretary (Day) / Off (Night)

No comments: